Rhino/Grasshopper link, parametric design & SCIA Engineer

Join the discussion in our Structural Analysis Software forum. Publishing your message in English will result in a higher response rate.

Moderators: Mischa, Ing. R. Engelen, Rudi Vanmechelen

Re: Rhino/Grasshopper link, parametric design & SCIA Enginee

Postby Cyril Heck » 16 May 2019, 15:40

Hi Swaraj,

I tried to open your project, yet apparently it contains Karamba components that I don't have.

I can however give you more general information about how Koala currently works for the "analysis & results" part.
This part relies on the esa_xml.exe command line tool, that is described here:
https://help.scia.net/18.1/en/index.htm ... sa_xml.htm

So it's important to set up all results that you are interested in, in a "document" in your project template.
With SCIA Engineer 19, also the regular "Engineering report" will work, which make things easier as to define a document, you needed to use the "v16 and earlier" post-processing environment.
(SCIA Engineer 19 should be released in the coming days if all goes well).

So today the whole workflow is possible, but is not as user-friendly as we would like. Don't hesitate to reach out to our support team for any questions!

SCIA Engineer 19 also brings with it a new API (to run analysis, get results, etc.).
One of the next steps for Koala will be to rewrite that part to the API instead of esa_xml. This should make it easier to use in the future.

Kind regards,

Cyril
Cyril Heck
Product Management & Marketing
SCIA
Cyril Heck

Postby bernd » 29 May 2019, 10:18

Is it possible in SCIA Engineer 19 with the new API, to get access to the Selection of Members (1D-Parts) ?
A) directly - by changing the colour of the selected members to red colour in the main window - Can I for example select the members in the main window by Code (with the names of the members(1D-Parts))
B) by named selections (in german "benannte Auswahl") - load and save

My Aim is to be able to select members by their names (e.g. B1,B2,B5-B8,B198,B201,B344-B393).
As far as I now, this is not possible in the Software Environment of SCIA 18.0.

If answer to the first question is yes, is this also possible for nodes ?

Kind regards,

Bernd
bernd

Postby Jaroslav Broz » 17 Jun 2019, 15:45

bernd wrote:Is it possible in SCIA Engineer 19 with the new API, to get access to the Selection of Members (1D-Parts) ?
A) directly - by changing the colour of the selected members to red colour in the main window - Can I for example select the members in the main window by Code (with the names of the members(1D-Parts))
B) by named selections (in german "benannte Auswahl") - load and save

My Aim is to be able to select members by their names (e.g. B1,B2,B5-B8,B198,B201,B344-B393).
As far as I now, this is not possible in the Software Environment of SCIA 18.0.

If answer to the first question is yes, is this also possible for nodes ?

Kind regards,

Bernd

Hi Bernd,

interaction Open API and SCIA Engineer in the way as you mentioned is not yet possible. But it is a nice request for our Open API future development.
Product Manager at Scia
Jaroslav Broz

Postby Jaroslav Broz » 11 Jul 2019, 14:17

Hello, Koala fans,

I have a humble plea for you. We are thinking about the future of Koala link. Please, can you submit your answers in this survey http://bit.ly/GrasshopperKoala? It will help us to form the future of our link. Thank you in advance.
Product Manager at Scia
Jaroslav Broz

Postby MarcinStyk » 12 Sep 2019, 08:10

Jaroslav Broz wrote:survey

Hello,
could you share results with us? I'm very curious!
MarcinStyk

Postby Jaroslav Broz » 23 Sep 2019, 16:11

Hello,

I did not plan it to publish the results in the forum. If you are interested in the results and some possible discussion write me a private message here on the forum or write me a mail.

Jaroslav
Product Manager at Scia
Jaroslav Broz

Postby bdsloove » 12 Dec 2019, 11:55

Hello, I can't get this plugin working. The instructions on https://resources.scia.net/en/garage/gr ... nkoala.htm describe a dll in step 3 (input dll from extracted folder to folder with grasshopper add-ons) and a file koala.xml.def in step 6 which is not included in the download for version v3. Am I missing something? Thanks Bart
bdsloove

Postby Jaroslav Broz » 02 Jan 2020, 13:22

Hello,

I have missed to include *.xml.def file into the zip file. My apologies. Meanwhile, I have been working on an upgrade of Koala which resulted in the changes in the definition of the *.xml.def file. You can download latest version of Koala 3.1 here https://cdnstore.scia.net/garage/Koala_v3.1.zip.

Jaroslav Broz
Product Manager at Scia
Jaroslav Broz

Postby priyamehta » 04 Jan 2020, 07:53

priyamehta

Postby DMNorman1 » 14 Jan 2020, 13:08

Hi There,

A huge thank you for writing such a great tool for grasshopper! It's epic!

I've got a small problem - don't know how to use the "Openings" node, please can someone help/ explain?

I take it there is no documentation for the plugin yet?

Thanks,

Dan
DMNorman1

Previous

Return to SCIA Engineer (English)