Rhino/Grasshopper link, parametric design & SCIA Engineer

Join the discussion in our Structural Analysis Software forum. Publishing your message in English will result in a higher response rate.

Moderators: Mischa, Ing. R. Engelen, Rudi Vanmechelen

Re: Rhino/Grasshopper link, parametric design & SCIA Enginee

Postby Cyril Heck » 16 May 2019, 15:40

Hi Swaraj,

I tried to open your project, yet apparently it contains Karamba components that I don't have.

I can however give you more general information about how Koala currently works for the "analysis & results" part.
This part relies on the esa_xml.exe command line tool, that is described here:
https://help.scia.net/18.1/en/index.htm ... sa_xml.htm

So it's important to set up all results that you are interested in, in a "document" in your project template.
With SCIA Engineer 19, also the regular "Engineering report" will work, which make things easier as to define a document, you needed to use the "v16 and earlier" post-processing environment.
(SCIA Engineer 19 should be released in the coming days if all goes well).

So today the whole workflow is possible, but is not as user-friendly as we would like. Don't hesitate to reach out to our support team for any questions!

SCIA Engineer 19 also brings with it a new API (to run analysis, get results, etc.).
One of the next steps for Koala will be to rewrite that part to the API instead of esa_xml. This should make it easier to use in the future.

Kind regards,

Cyril
Cyril Heck
Product Management & Marketing
SCIA
Cyril Heck

Postby bernd » 29 May 2019, 10:18

Is it possible in SCIA Engineer 19 with the new API, to get access to the Selection of Members (1D-Parts) ?
A) directly - by changing the colour of the selected members to red colour in the main window - Can I for example select the members in the main window by Code (with the names of the members(1D-Parts))
B) by named selections (in german "benannte Auswahl") - load and save

My Aim is to be able to select members by their names (e.g. B1,B2,B5-B8,B198,B201,B344-B393).
As far as I now, this is not possible in the Software Environment of SCIA 18.0.

If answer to the first question is yes, is this also possible for nodes ?

Kind regards,

Bernd
bernd

Postby Jaroslav Broz » 17 Jun 2019, 15:45

bernd wrote:Is it possible in SCIA Engineer 19 with the new API, to get access to the Selection of Members (1D-Parts) ?
A) directly - by changing the colour of the selected members to red colour in the main window - Can I for example select the members in the main window by Code (with the names of the members(1D-Parts))
B) by named selections (in german "benannte Auswahl") - load and save

My Aim is to be able to select members by their names (e.g. B1,B2,B5-B8,B198,B201,B344-B393).
As far as I now, this is not possible in the Software Environment of SCIA 18.0.

If answer to the first question is yes, is this also possible for nodes ?

Kind regards,

Bernd

Hi Bernd,

interaction Open API and SCIA Engineer in the way as you mentioned is not yet possible. But it is a nice request for our Open API future development.
Product Manager at Scia
Jaroslav Broz

Postby Jaroslav Broz » 11 Jul 2019, 14:17

Hello, Koala fans,

I have a humble plea for you. We are thinking about the future of Koala link. Please, can you submit your answers in this survey http://bit.ly/GrasshopperKoala? It will help us to form the future of our link. Thank you in advance.
Product Manager at Scia
Jaroslav Broz

Postby MarcinStyk » 12 Sep 2019, 08:10

Jaroslav Broz wrote:survey

Hello,
could you share results with us? I'm very curious!
MarcinStyk

Postby Jaroslav Broz » 23 Sep 2019, 16:11

Hello,

I did not plan it to publish the results in the forum. If you are interested in the results and some possible discussion write me a private message here on the forum or write me a mail.

Jaroslav
Product Manager at Scia
Jaroslav Broz

Postby bdsloove » 12 Dec 2019, 11:55

Hello, I can't get this plugin working. The instructions on https://resources.scia.net/en/garage/gr ... nkoala.htm describe a dll in step 3 (input dll from extracted folder to folder with grasshopper add-ons) and a file koala.xml.def in step 6 which is not included in the download for version v3. Am I missing something? Thanks Bart
bdsloove

Postby Jaroslav Broz » 02 Jan 2020, 13:22

Hello,

I have missed to include *.xml.def file into the zip file. My apologies. Meanwhile, I have been working on an upgrade of Koala which resulted in the changes in the definition of the *.xml.def file. You can download latest version of Koala 3.1 here https://cdnstore.scia.net/garage/Koala_v3.1.zip.

Jaroslav Broz
Product Manager at Scia
Jaroslav Broz

Postby priyamehta » 04 Jan 2020, 07:53

priyamehta

Postby DMNorman1 » 14 Jan 2020, 13:08

Hi There,

A huge thank you for writing such a great tool for grasshopper! It's epic!

I've got a small problem - don't know how to use the "Openings" node, please can someone help/ explain?

I take it there is no documentation for the plugin yet?

Thanks,

Dan
DMNorman1

Postby Parametric » 04 Mar 2020, 16:46

Hello,

I have a small problem. From your definiton of Example_Truss.gha im not able to get results written in ResultsTruss.txt, however if I try to import generated xml manually in scia it works fine. It just creates empty file. Ive tried scia 19.0 and 19.1. What might be wrong?

With Regards
Dan
Daniel
Structural Engineer
Parametric

Postby Jaroslav Broz » 18 Mar 2020, 14:49

Hello,

you need to have SCIA Engineer project where you have defined engineering report. You can define the content of the report and that is written to the output file. Then you can work with this file in GH script. The component which we have created for the results show how this could be done.
Product Manager at Scia
Jaroslav Broz

Postby Parametric » 23 Mar 2020, 19:25

Hi,

Ive have tried what you proposed and nothing has changed (I have created template esa file with engineering report which is linked to analysis component to the template name node). I get empty results.txt file. Could you please provide working ESA file that should work with panda example scripts? Or maybe short step by step video would help with troubleshooting.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I should be able to return results from scia to grasshopper. That is what I am looking for. Or is there any other way?

Thank you,
Dan.
Daniel
Structural Engineer
Parametric

Postby Jaroslav Broz » 09 Apr 2020, 13:08

Hi,
You need to create SCIA Engineer template which contains Document - see
TemplateWithInternalForces.esa
Template with internal forces
(1.16 MiB) Downloaded 67 times
. You specify which results you would like to have accessible after the calculation. Once you do it, the output file will contain defined results. You can use them for future processing. Before you use Analysis component and run analysis, you need to generate XML trough CreateXML.
The template file needs to be on defined path e.g. C:/Scripts/SCIAEngineerTemplate.esa and XML could be placed where you want but must exist (see above) e.g. C:/MyXMLFiles/Arch.xml. The same is valid for output file – it is generated on the specified path with specified name e.g. C:/Output/ArchOutputFile.txt.

Don’t hesitate to contact me if something is not clear for you. You can use garage@scia.net
Product Manager at Scia
Jaroslav Broz

Previous

Return to SCIA Engineer (English)